Apply for a home
Tyne and Wear Homes
We are now advertising homes available in South Tyneside, Gateshead, Newcastle and North Tyneside through a new lettings partnership - Tyne and Wear Homes.
This partnership also means that you only have to fill out one application form to register for council housing with all four local councils.
How to apply:
1. Register with the housing scheme
To apply for Council housing, you need to be a member of the South Tyneside Homes housing scheme.
- Anyone over 16 years old can register. Applicants under 18 will have their needs assessed by a specialist team.
- To register, you will need to provide information including your national insurance number and details of previous tenancies.
- After registering, you will be sent a letter within 10 working days with your application number, confirmation of your date of registration, and your banding status.
Once registered, you will be able to apply for housing in:
- South Tyneside
- North Tyneside
You can register with the scheme on the Tyne and Wear Homes website:
Download the housing application form[pdf - 1Mb], complete it by hand and return it to the Homefinder Team, 25-27 Market Place, South Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE33 1JF.
Over the phone:
Call Homefinder on 0300 123 6633 to complete an application over the phone.
2. Search for and bid on homes
Once you have registered with the housing scheme you will be able to search and bid on homes.
- Homes are advertised from Thursday 00:01 to Monday 23:59
- You can place 3 bids per week
- You can be kept informed about any bids placed by logging onto your account on Tyne & Wear Homes.
- Due to the demand for social rented housing, we must allocate homes according to need. Each home will be advertised with lettings criteria, this will advise you of the household size the home is suitable for.
To search for a home, visit the Tyne and Wear Homes website:
For more information about applying for a home, see Frequently asked questions
If you need help or support, contact the Homefinder Service
Homefinder Service feedback
If you have recently been to the Homefinder Service we would welcome your feedback. Please complete the short survey below to help us continue to improve the service: