Skip header

Search and bid on homes

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Emergency housing and homelessness

Searching and bidding on homes

  • You can continue to register for re-housing on the Tyne and Wear Homes website, however there will be delays in processing these applications.
  • You will not be able to place bids for homes in South Tyneside at the current time. Further updates will be posted on the Tyne and Wear Homes website. We are reviewing this situation regularly, and updates will be provided on this webpage, on the Tyne and Wear Homes website, and on the South Tyneside Homes Facebook page.

Offers of accommodation

  • The allocation of South Tyneside Council and South Tyneside Housing Ventures Trust properties is on hold until further notice. If you have already received an offer of accommodation, we will be in touch to arrange the next steps as soon as we are able to. Please do not contact us unless you need emergency assistance.

Mutual exchanges

  • Unless it is essential, all mutual exchanges will be delayed until current lock down restrictions are relaxed.

Available properties

Each week new available properties are advertised.

View this week's available properties854.64KB

How to apply

To apply and bid for housing with us, you need to be a member of Tyne and Wear Homes.

Once you are registered with Tyne and Wear Homes, you will be able to make an application for social housing properties in South Tyneside, North Tyneside, Newcastle and Gateshead. 

You can view South Tyneside Council's current Housing Allocation Policy here Housing Allocations Policy 2018459.64KB

1. Register with Tyne and Wear Homes

  • You will need your National Insurance Number
  • Anyone over 16 years old can register, applicants under 18 will have their needs assessed by a specialist team
  • If you need to move because of medical problems or illness, let us know in your application so that we can assess your needs

You can apply online on the Tyne and Wear Homes website:

Register online with Tyne and Wear Homes

2. Provide some extra information

After registering, you will be sent a letter within 10 working days with your application number, confirmation of your date of registration, and your banding status.

You will then be asked to provide:

  • Official identification for you and each household member (e.g. Driving Licence, valid Passport, Marriage or Birth Certificate)
  • An official letter which shows your current address (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Your income and expenditure details 
  • Details of where you have lived for the last 5 years (if any of these have been rented properties, we will request landlord references)
  • If you are pregnant, we will need to see your MATB1 form provided by your midwife

To speed up your application, you can submit the above documentation to us by:

  • scanning your official documents and sending by email (for attention of the Housing Options Service) to (remember to include your name and address)
  • handing your documents in to us at our Housing Options Service, Unit 3, Heddon Way, NE34 0NU.

We will then request anti-social behaviour checks.

If you have requested a move for medical reasons, an Occupational Therapist will contact you to talk about your circumstances, once you have provided all of the information above.

3. Search for and bid on homes

Once all of your information has been received and verified, we will make your account active and send you a letter to advise what type of property you can bid for. You will then be able to search for and bid on homes.

Each week new available properties are advertised on the Tyne and Wear Homes website.

You will need to log in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account to view and place a bid on properties that you are interested in.

  • Homes are advertised from Thursday at 00:01 to Monday at 23:59
  • You can place 3 bids per week

To search for and bid on homes, visit:

Search for a home (Tyne and Wear Homes)

4. What happens next?

To stay informed about your bids log in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account.

After bidding has closed we will assess the expressions of interest and contact successful applicants within one week.

Find out what happens When you are offered a home.

Other housing providers

There are a small number of housing providers within South Tyneside who are not part of the Tyne and Wear Homes group, these have their own waiting lists and policies. If you wish to apply for housing with another provider, this should be done direct to the provider.

One other housing provider in South Tyneside includes Bormarsund Housing Co-Operative.

Have you thought about Mutual Exchanges?

Mutual Exchanges are a great way to permanently swap your home with another tenant from either South Tyneside Homes or a partner housing provider.

Find out more about Mutual Exchanges.

Frequently asked questions

For more information about registering with Tyne and Wear Homes and bidding on homes, see our Search and bid on homes: Frequently asked questions.