Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
Searching and bidding on homes
You can place bids for homes in South Tyneside:
- We are only advertising a selection of properties and are not operating a full service.
- Please only contact us about the properties which are advertised.
- You can continue to register for rehousing on the Tyne and Wear Homes website, however there will be delays in processing these applications.
Emergency housing and homelessness
Please be assured that we continue to support our most vulnerable customers in need of emergency accommodation. This includes victims of domestic abuse, rough sleepers or those at risk of losing their home. If you need support, please contact us.
Offers of accommodation before lockdown
If you received an offer of accommodation from South Tyneside Homes before lockdown, our Allocations team will be in touch to discuss whether we can now safely move you.
Read about moving home during this time.
Where it is safe to do so and subject to social distancing measures being met, mutual exchanges can go ahead.
Each week new available properties are advertised.
View this week's available properties3.91MB
How to apply
To apply and bid for housing with us, you need to be a member of Tyne and Wear Homes.
Once you are registered with Tyne and Wear Homes, you will be able to make an application for social housing properties in South Tyneside, North Tyneside, Newcastle and Gateshead.
You can view South Tyneside Council's current Housing Allocation Policy here Housing Allocations Policy 2018459.64KB
1. Register with Tyne and Wear Homes
- You will need your National Insurance Number
- Anyone over 16 years old can register, applicants under 18 will have their needs assessed by a specialist team
- If you need to move because of medical problems or illness, let us know in your application so that we can assess your needs
You can apply online on the Tyne and Wear Homes website:
Register online with Tyne and Wear Homes
2. Provide some extra information
After registering, you will be sent a letter within 10 working days with your application number, confirmation of your date of registration, and your banding status.
You will then be asked to provide:
- Official identification for you and each household member (e.g. Driving Licence, valid Passport, Marriage or Birth Certificate)
- An official letter which shows your current address (dated within the last 3 months)
- Your income and expenditure details
- Details of where you have lived for the last 5 years (if any of these have been rented properties, we will request landlord references)
- If you are pregnant, we will need to see your MATB1 form provided by your midwife
To speed up your application, you can submit the above documentation to us by:
- scanning your official documents and sending by email (for attention of the Housing Options Service) to email@example.com (remember to include your name and address)
- handing your documents in to us at our Housing Options Service, Unit 3, Heddon Way, NE34 0NU.
We will then request anti-social behaviour checks.
If you have requested a move for medical reasons, an Occupational Therapist will contact you to talk about your circumstances, once you have provided all of the information above.
3. Search for and bid on homes
Once all of your information has been received and verified, we will make your account active and send you a letter to advise what type of property you can bid for. You will then be able to search for and bid on homes.
Each week new available properties are advertised on the Tyne and Wear Homes website.
You will need to log in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account to view and place a bid on properties that you are interested in.
- Homes are advertised from Thursday at 00:01 to Monday at 23:59
- You can place 3 bids per week
To search for and bid on homes, visit:
Search for a home (Tyne and Wear Homes)
4. What happens next?
To stay informed about your bids log in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account.
After bidding has closed we will assess the expressions of interest and contact successful applicants within one week.
Find out what happens When you are offered a home.
Other housing providers
There are a small number of housing providers within South Tyneside who are not part of the Tyne and Wear Homes group, these have their own waiting lists and policies. If you wish to apply for housing with another provider, this should be done direct to the provider.
One other housing provider in South Tyneside includes Bormarsund Housing Co-Operative.
Have you thought about Mutual Exchanges?
Mutual Exchanges are a great way to permanently swap your home with another tenant from either South Tyneside Homes or a partner housing provider.
Find out more about Mutual Exchanges.
Frequently asked questions
For more information about registering with Tyne and Wear Homes and bidding on homes, see our Search and bid on homes: Frequently asked questions.