Rent increase for 2024 / 25


  1. Overview
  2. If you receive Universal Credit (UC)
  3. Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)
  4. Frequently asked questions


All tenants have been sent letters letting them know of this year's rent increase.

To help answer any questions you may have, we have created a FAQ's section.

If you still need further support or advice please contact us by emailing, start a Live Chat or call 0300 123 6633

If you receive Universal Credit (UC)

If you receive Universal Credit, it is your responsibility to tell the Department for Work and Pensions, (DWP), about the increase to your housing costs and other charges from the 1 April 2024. You will need to do this through your online Universal Credit journal.

If you do not inform the DWP, your UC payment will not cover your net rent and you may fall into arrears.

Please access your journal as soon as possible and report the change in your rent charges. These can be found in the rent increase letter that was recently sent to you.

For more information about Universal Credit, see GOV.UK: Move to Universal Credit

Updating your journal

You will need to sign into your Universal Credit account and follow these steps: 

  1. You will receive a message reminding you to complete a 'To-Do'
  2. When you visit your 'To-do list' there will be an item called "Report any changes to your housing costs"
  3. Open this and add in the information about your new rent charges
  4. When you are asked 'has your rent changed' you need to select 'yes' and complete the rest of the questions
  5. The date that the increase takes place from is 1 April 2024
  6. Make sure to save all the information

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

Have you previously been awarded a Discretionary Housing Payments, (DHPs), this may have expired at the end of March 2024 or be due to expire in the next few months.

DHPs are not automatically renewed. You will need to submit a new DHP application so that you continue to receive this payment. 

DHPs are payments made in addition to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit if you need additional help with housing costs. 

You can make a claim for a DHP if you are claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and the payment you receive does not cover your rent charges. 

For further information and to make a claim go to South Tyneside Council: Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP).

Your application will be assessed by South Tyneside Council to determine the amount that you are entitled to, and the period for which the payments will be made.

If you need support completing a DHP application, please contact South Tyneside Homes on 0300 123 6633.

Frequently asked questions

Why is there a change this year?

There are 52 weeks in a normal year, meaning 52 weekly charges. 

However, every five to six years, there are 53 Mondays in a year instead. 2024 / 25 is one of those years.

What if I pay by monthly Direct Debit?

If you pay by monthly or weekly Direct Debit you do not need to do anything. We will do this calculation for you and automatically adjust your payments accordingly.

Four-weekly and fortnightly Direct Debits are no longer available.

Customers who have paid their rent by four-weekly or fortnightly Direct Debits are being contacted to discuss other Direct Debit payment frequencies or other payment methods.

What if I pay by monthly standing order?

If you pay by standing order then you need to make an adjustment to your monthly payments yourself.

To calculate how much rent you should be paying each month, multiply your weekly rent amount by 49 and then divide it by 12.

For example, if your rent is £80 x 49 / 12 = £326.67

Once you have calculated your monthly payments, contact your bank to update your standing order.

What if I pay monthly at the kiosk or pay point?

If you pay by debit card or cash each month you will also need to make an adjustment to your monthly payments.

Calculate your new monthly rent payment in the same way outlined above, (your weekly rent x 49 / 12).

I pay monthly - my rent has gone down but my payments have increased. Why?

You will have noticed a slight increase in the amount you pay because there are 53 rent charging weeks in 2024 / 25 instead of the usual 52.

What if I pay weekly?

There is no change.

You will pay your new weekly rent from 1 April in advance every Monday.

What if I claim Universal Credit?

If you receive Universal Credit you should be aware that this is currently calculated on a 52 week basis.

Unless the rules are changed before 1 April 2024, the only way to avoid falling into arrears is by paying an additional amount each week to ensure your rent is covered.

If you would like any support with benefits, debt or other money advice, please email us at or call us on 0300 123 6633.

What if I claim Housing Benefit?

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit you do not need to do anything as this will be covered.

What if I am in rent arrears?

Additional payments will be required to clear your rent arrears over time to ensure you are paying your rent weekly or in advance.

If you want to discuss your rent account and setting up a payment arrangement, you can call us on 0300 123 6633, have an online conversation, (Live Chat), with a Customer Service Adviser, or email us at