Christmas and New Year Repairs Service
Our repairs service will be running a reduced service over Christmas and New Year.
An emergency only repairs service will be available from 6.30pm on Monday 23 December 2019 until Thursday 2 January 2020 when the office opens as normal.
If you need the emergency repairs service, please contact the 24 hour number - 0300 123 6633.
How to report a repair
Report a repair online on the South Tyneside Council website:
Report a repair online
Or you can report a repair by:
- LiveChat -
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone on 0300 123 6633
- writing to South Tyneside Homes, Town Hall and Civic Offices, Westoe Road, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 2RL
- Typetalk - We welcome calls through Typetalk. Textphone users please prefix our telephone number with 18001
If a repair is an immediate risk to people or a property it can be reported using the 24 hour contact number 0300 123 66 33.
This service is for emergencies only so please only use it for genuine emergency repairs. If we find that the work was not actually an emergency you may be charged.
What happens after a repair has been reported?
1. We will arrange an appointment with you
We will offer you an appointment for all works apart from emergency repairs. Appointments are provided during:
- 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
- 9am to 1pm on Saturdays (excluding bank holiday weekends)
How quickly we can fix the repair will depend upon the type of repair. Read about types of repairs.
Sometimes, a repair inspection may be needed first.
For each repair reported, you will get a reference number. You will also get text message reminders.
2. On your appointment day
- Make sure you are in for your appointment. Missed appointments cost South Tyneside Homes in terms of time and money. If you miss a pre-agreed appointment the job will be cancelled, a card will be left informing you of the cancellation. The repair will need to be reported again to South Tyneside Homes. A charge may be issued.
- If it's an emergency appointment and you aren't available it may be necessary to force access. Again, additional costs may be charged.
- If further repair work is reported whilst we are attending to a repair on site, we will try to resolve the issue on the same visit.
- If we need to visit a number of times we will notify you on the first visit and discuss future access arrangements.
3. If further repairs are needed
If further repairs or assessments are needed, we will give you a 'What's Next?' card. The card will explain what is needed to complete the repair and also offer contact information for the relevant officers or services.
Read more about Repairs and improvements.