Skip header

Mutual Exchanges

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Where it is safe to do so and subject to social distancing measures being met, mutual exchanges can go ahead.

Read more about moving home during this time

A Mutual Exchange is when you swap your home permanently with another tenant. Whether it be for a new job, to be closer to family, or for a bigger or smaller home, a Mutual Exchange is a great way for you to move home. 

Before you start

You will need to: 

  • have been a tenant for at least 12 months 
  • be up-to-date with your rent payments

Step one - Register your home 

To organise a Mutual Exchange within South Tyneside, North Tyneside, Newcastle or Gateshead, you will need to register your home on the Tyne and Wear Homes website. 

If you haven't yet got an account on the Tyne and Wear Homes website, go to Register with Tyne and Wear Homes.

To apply for a Mutual Exchange:

  1. Log in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account
  2. Go to 'My Mutual Exchange'
  3. Create your advert. Make sure to provide useful information about your home - uploading photographs of the inside and outside of your home will help to advertise it. Remember to provide your contact details when creating your advert so people can contact you.

Please note: If you find an exchange partner outside of the Tyne and Wear Homes website, you will still need to register an application on the Tyne and Wear Homes website and match with the person you have found to exchange with.

Step two - Find a home to swap with 

To search for homes:

  1. Log in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account
  2. Go to 'My Mutual Exchange'
  3. Go to 'View the mutual exchange properties that meet your requirements'. Good matches will show properties that meet both yours and the advertiser's requirements. Partial matches will show properties where some of the requirements are met.

Once you have found a home that you are interested in, you need to:

  1. Click on the property and select 'Apply Now'
  2. Confirm your contact details and select 'Continue'
  3. Select 'I wish to be considered for this property'
  4. Properties you select will go into Your Shortlist
  5. If you wish to continue, select 'Request Exchange'
  6. Select 'Contact' to make contact with the advertiser of the property you like

Step three - Arrange the swap

You and the other party need to visit each other's home to make sure you like the properties and definitely want to go ahead.

If you do want to go ahead following your viewing go back to 'Your Shortlist' on Tyne and Wear Homes and approve the nomination for each other on your mutual exchange application.

If South Tyneside Homes is the landlord for both parties we will complete our landlord approvals steps for each party. If we are the landlord for only one party the other person's landlord will complete their landlord approvals and we must wait for them to do this.

A member of staff from South Tyneside Homes will come out to see you. We will check your home for any repairs which may need to be carried out and talk to you about the legalities of moving and taking up a new tenancy.

If you are not able to move at this point we will tell you in writing why you can't and what you can do to change this so that you can move in future. If you are able to move we will write to you and tell you that you can go ahead with your swap. We will give you a decision within 42 days.

Please note: If you agree to go ahead with the move, you are accepting to take the property as seen. It is also up to you and the other household to make sure that everything from the properties is removed, and to make any agreements about whether carpets, flooring or blinds are being left behind. We can take no responsibility for items left behind, including anything in the garden or loft.

Step four - The swap

Once it has been agreed that both parties can move, you must arrange this between yourselves for a time and date that suits you both.

Once you have agreed a date, you must let us know, so we can organise paperwork which you will need to sign. This is called the Deed of Assignment. 

It is very important to that you sign the Deed of Assignment, otherwise you technically aren't the new tenant of the home you have moved to.

Moving to another area

You can register to mutually exchange your home with other council or housing association tenants across the country, with over 500,000 other registered social housing tenants on HomeSwapper.

Need help or advice? 

For help or advice about Mutual Exchanges, contact the Housing Solutions Service.

  • Housing Solutions Service
  • Unit 3
    Middlefields Industrial Estate
    Heddon Way
    South Shields
    Tyne & Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE34 0NT

  • 03001236633