New contractor to improve homes Tuesday 16 September 2014 South Tyneside Homes has appointed a new contractor to continue its Decent Homes programme.Gentoo Group will carry out upgrades on 700 properties on three of the Borough's estates.Work is expected to start on site at the beginning of November on Lukes Lane, Viking and Brockley Whins estates.Gentoo was awarded the contract after South Tyneside Homes took the decision to end its arrangement with its former contractor earlier this year.Councillor Allan West, Lead Member for Housing and Transport, said: "We know that some tenants have faced delays with the Decent Homes work and we'd like to thank them for their patience."Gentoo has an excellent track record in delivering high quality homes and we're confident residents will soon be able to reap all the benefits of the renovations."We recognise that providing decent homes for our families to live in is one of the most valuable services we can offer and we remain committed to completing this programme."On the Lukes Lane estate, 133 properties will be upgraded, with a further 216 on the Brockley Whins estate and 351 on the Viking estate.Allan Thompson, Managing Director for Gentoo Construction said: "We are delighted to have been awarded this contract and to be continuing our excellent relationship with South Tyneside Homes."We are eager to get started to provide these communities in South Tyneside with quality homes and we are committed to delivering on this."