Improvements and alterations


  1. Overview
  2. When you move out
  3. Application for alterations


If you are a secure tenant, you have a right to carry out improvements to your home.

You must have written permission before you carry out any work, and get the relevant permission from the Council's planning and building control departments.

For information, contact us on 0300 123 6633.

When you move out

You can receive up to £3000 for the cost of a single improvement,

You will receive nothing for improvements valued under £50.

To qualify, you must:

  • be the secure tenant or joint tenant of the property at the time the tenancy ends, and
  • be the person who carried out the improvement

Improvements that have a notion of life that ranges between 7 to 20 years qualify. These can include:

  • bath or shower
  • wash-hand basin
  • toilet
  • kitchen sink
  • storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • work surfaces for food preparation
  • space or water heating
  • thermostatic radiator valves
  • insulation of pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • loft insulation
  • cavity wall insulation
  • draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • double glazing or other window replacement or secondary glazing
  • rewiring or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings (including smoke detectors)
  • security measures (excluding burglar alarm systems)

Application for alterations

If you wish to carry out improvements to your home, complete the form below and return it to South Tyneside Homes, Westoe Rd, South Shields NE33 2RL.

Alternatively, you can e-mail your completed form to

Apply to make an alteration