Refugees and Asylum Seekers

You can apply for help from South Tyneside Homes if you are homeless and have been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection.

You will not be affected by immigration and residence restrictions.

You can apply if you are homeless or will be within the next 56 days by contacting South Tyneside Homes' Housing Options Service for advice and assistance on 0800 141 2645.

If you need accommodation you will need to provide the following documents: 

  • a copy of your Home Office Leave to Remain Cover Letter
  • sight of your Biometric Card
  • your Passport or Birth Certificate if you have one
  • proof of address (this will probably be a Home Office document or Landlord Notice to Quit Letter)
  • landlord Notice to Quit Letter

You will be asked if you have applied for benefits if you show your Leave to Remain cover letter or Residence Permit.

If you haven't applied, you will need to complete the online application at GOV:UK Apply for Universal Credit. If you are already employed, this may not apply to you. 

You will not be able to apply for Housing Benefit if your benefits are not in place.

Immigration advice

You will need to claim asylum before you can apply for support.

For information and advice on how to get specialist immigration advice visit:

Asylum helplines

You can get help by phone if you are a refugee or asylum applicant and you need advice around claiming asylum or adjusting to life in the UK:

There are multiple charities that can provide independent advice and support with claiming asylum, housing, financial support and more: